Sunday 17 July 2011

The Role of the Bard



What in these days is the function of a Bard?

In the time of my Bardic ancestors their role was to pass on the stories and lore of the Gods and to prick the conscience of the King by the use of satire.

Apart from being the kings conscience I do not think that the role of the bard has changed much.

The role of the Bard today I believe is to remind people that there is a life behind this one. In Celtic philosophy there is an idea of the hidden world referred to as the mountain behind the mountain, and I believe my role as a Bard is to remind people that this world exists.

So many today have forgotten the old stories of wonder and magic, stories where Gods and man co-existed. Tales of heroes, dragons and elves. In short they only believe what their eyes tell them is true.

In the book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Harry says to Dumbledore “Is this inside my head?” and his reply was “Of course it is Harry does that make it any less true?!

My job as a Bard is to get people to see the wonder that is there for the finding.

Pangur-ban
16/7/11

No comments:

Post a Comment